• en
  • nl
  • hi
  • zh-CN
  • ru
  • de
  • es
  • fr


Congratulations on your new home! After moving, it's crucial to inform your local municipality about your change of address within 5 days. Failure to do so may result in a fine. Here's what you need to know about registering your new address in the Netherlands:

Importance of registering:

Aside from the risk of a fine, not updating your address with the local municipality can also affect your taxes and benefits. This becomes particularly important when moving between different municipalities, as tax rates and conditions may vary. Additionally, ensuring your address is correctly registered is essential for the validity of your residence permit.

Within the same municipality:

If you move within the same municipality, you only need to inform the department of civil affairs.

Moving to a different municipality:

If you move to a new municipality, you should inform your new local municipality. They will then send a notification to your previous municipality.

Required documents for registration:

To register your new address, you'll typically need the following documents:

  • ID: this can be your passport, identification card, or residence permit.
  • Rental or purchase contract: provide the rental or purchase agreement for your new house as proof of residence.
  • When moving in with someone else: If you're moving in with someone else, you'll need their ID and a statement from them declaring their permission for you to live with them.

Read more

All offers

€ 689.500,- V.O.N.
Knightsbridge Hyde Park huis 1 type 2 0
€ 739.500,- V.O.N.
Knightsbridge Hyde Park huis 2 type 1 0
€ 799.500,- V.O.N.
Knightsbridge Hyde Park huis 3 type 4 0

Registration methods:

You can register your new address in person, by mail, or online with your DigiD (digital identification).

The specific rules and procedures may vary, so check with your municipality for the preferred method.

In some cases, you might need to make an appointment at the department of civil affairs, while other municipalities may accept registrations by email.

Information sharing:

Once you've successfully registered, the municipality will share your new address with various government agencies, including:

  • Tax Office
  • Health insurer
  • DUO (responsible for student loans)
  • RDW (Dutch Vehicle Authority, responsible for vehicle licensing)
  • SVB (responsible for national insurance schemes)

Do you have questions about living in the Netherlands?

Updating your address promptly ensures that you receive important correspondence and that your information is up-to-date with relevant authorities. So don't forget to take care of this essential step after your move! For more information or questions, contact Jasper van den Boogaard.